BMX Freestyle isn't just a boys game. More and more ladies hop onto the bike and enjoy themselves. One of the better known female riders is Cory Coffey. She even has ads in the magazines and yes, it's the girl that does flips. FATBMX had a few words with the girl role model. Let's hope for a bigger girl involvement at the parks in the future.
1) Name, age, hometown, sponsors all that stuff.
Miss Cory Coffey
22 years old
Ojai, California, United States
Specialized, Fox, Vans, Odi, Utopia Optics
2) It's quite uncommon to see girls ride BMX freestyle. In other sports like snowboarding and inline skating you see more involvement, why is that?
I think that BMX is a few years behind snowboarding, inline, and skateboarding.. slowly but surely, more and more girls are starting to ride.
3) It seems like some people are pushing girls to ride BMX. What's your involvement with the OP learn to ride people, RaceGirl.com and W.O.F.?
It's exciting to see more girls riding. I try to involve myself in all of the women's events in riding, because it's so important that we help push the sport. I instruct BMX for Op Girls Learn to Ride. By helping these girls out and getting new ones involved, it creates a future for women in BMX.
4) Do you think it's a good thing?
I think its a good thing when people find something they like in life and do it.
5) How did the girls-BMX freestyle tour come about?
A couple of girls told me that they wanted to do an all girl road trip. then they put in some hard work, got some sponsors for the trip, and before you know it, it turned into a tour, and a history in the making.
6) Do you think girls should ride in different classes like at the 2003 BMX Freestyle world's or are you okay by mixing it up with the boys?
I think that if there are enough girls to have a class, then they should have their own class. Look at every other sport in the world. Women have their own class.
7) When you explain to people what you do, is it hard to tell them it's not mountain biking or BMX racing? What's their reaction usually?
It's usually easy to explain to people... they usually can't believe that I do that kind of stuff.
8) When they ask you if you can do a flip, how do they react when you say Yes?
I try not to bring the flip thing up.. but when I'm explaining what kind of riding I do, I might say, " you know, I ride ramps and do flips and stuff".. you do flips? yes, I can do flips! haha
9) Where have you been riding?
I've been spending a lot of my time around near my house, just trying to learn some new stuff, and not have to travel too far. It seems like I'm gone a lot, so as much time as I can spend at home is always great.
10) What are your plans for 2004?
I will be at the Roots Jam in April. BestWick Comp in May. CFB in May. World's in Germany.... those are the contests I plan on going to. Just ride a bunch of new stuff, and totally apply myself as much as possible. I want to continue to travel and hopfully make it back to Africa sometime this year and go ride.